Tristram_Goncalves

The Blizzard of 2013 - The Rainbow Lounge

Tristram_Goncalves
Posted

This has been as big as the one in '78. We got 3 feet of snow plus hurricane force winds continue to cause it to drift. Last night the wind was so strong that the apartmenthouse shook and it sounded like bulldozers were trying to knock it down. The snow has just stopped falling in this part of Connecticut 24 hours after it began.

Both our doors are blocked, the front door is buried a foot but you can't find the cement stoop in front of it. At the back door (sliders) onthe deck it has drifted up to the height of my hips. I am six foot tall with a 29" inseam. All I can see of my car is the radio antenna and a little bit of the roof on the passenger side. It is buried up to the windows and drifted onto the driver's side.

Mike next door is trying to snowblow the snow away but the snow is taller than his snowblower and it is giving him trouble. The temps outside are in the 20sF with a wind chill of 0F. You can't see the road cuz of the snowbanks, but it is plowed, no cars, driving still illegal here. Rte. 8 is silent, no traffic,no plows. I did see a MetroNorth train headed to NYC on the other side of the river but I bet the winds are playing havoc with the overhead wires on the mainline (New Haven to NYC) which is electrified. NO flights, Amtrak shut down from NYC to Boston, no public tansit,no cars.

Even plows, wreckers and police vehicles have gotten stuck overnight. Their is a heavy duty plow accompanying any ambulance calls, Hopefully shutting down the highways yesterday at 4 pm means no stuck vehicles on the roads. That was the problem in '78 when this was supposed to be just snow squals and it turned into a Nor'easter blizzard over the Gulf of Maine and threw back as far as the Great Lakes. The highways were a band of metal with stuck abandoned cars and trucks or with people buried in them trying to survive the surprise blizzard.

And it looks like a week of unsettled weather. Welcome to the Northeast and New England! Interestingly this will probably further damage the economy as no business will get done locally.

Karen_Wright
Posted

Man I thought we had some cold asweather here in Ohio but, Tristram you have it worse than we do a hellva a lot worst. I am gla I live in the central part of OH cause Cleveland got i worst thn we did. Sorry your snowed in now but we got hit in '78 so I seen pics of it as I was in he Army in Germany. Good luck in getting out of it all.

Posted

Sat., Feb 9th, 13, 14:00 Hrs. M.S.T. Hi Group, Snow Storm of the Year??? Maybe so But This is WINTER. To B Expected at This Time of Year if Weather Systems Colide etc. When I Lived in the East Years Ago I Considered in Normal to Get 60. 75 Cms or a Metre Worth of Snow, 50 KPH - Plus Temperatures Say from -5C to -15C. Get a Dump of Snow Now and Everyone Hits the Panic Button. Incredable. Just for the Fun of It. I Live in Calgary in Southern Alberta, For Winters We Get those WARM CHINOOK WINDS, that Blow Over the Beautiful Rockies, NICE!. When I'm Outside and I Have a Chance to Look Up and See Those "Chinook Arch" I Know It Good Times, Ideally Cloudy or Blue Skies, Nice WARM Temperatures of Say -5C to the Plus Side of 0 to Highs of +5 or 10C Gotta Like That in Decembers, January or Februarys It Saturday, Warn Chinook all Week, Its on the Plus Side of 0, Blue Skies, the Son Gods are Looking Kindly Down on Us. as They Say, "I'm Lovin It". Enjoy, Operator.

Tristram_Goncalves
Posted

Thanks Karen, car still buried. Got my cousin's out and driveway snowblown.

Tiggerdean
Posted

Good luck TG.

Tommy_Storey
Posted

It sound`s like being in Hell there ........
My thought`s are with you all, out there ........