Rev. Luis Leon says gays created 'in God's image' during benediction at Obama in - The Gay Christian Network

Posted

Rev. Luis Leon says gays created 'in God's image' during benediction at Obama inaugural

Leon replaced Louie Giglio who had anti-gay sermon in his past

21 January 2013 | By Greg Hernandez / Gay Star News

The most pro-gay presidential inauguration ceremony in history concluded Monday (21 January) concluded with a benediction from an Episcopalian priest who included gays as among those created in God's image.

The Rev. Luis Leon of St. John's Church, located across the street from the White House, prayed that 'with your blessing, we can see each other created in your image, a unit of God’s grace, unprecedented, irrepeatable and irreplaceable.'

'We pray for your blessing because without it, we will see only what the eye can see. But with the blessing of your blessing we will see that we are created in your image, whether brown, black or white, male or female, first generation or immigrant American, or daughter of the American Revolution, gay or straight, rich or poor.'

Leon's inclusive words came after Robert Blanco, a gay man, delivered the inaugural poem and after President Barack Obama gave an address that mentioned gays and lesbians as well as the Stonewall riots which sparked the modern day gay rights movement.

Leon replaced original choice Louie Giglio who dropped out of the program after a controversy arose over an anti-gay sermon he gave in the mid-90s.

Giglio had stated that homosexuality is a sin, that homosexuals are going to hell and he endorsed ex-gay reparative therapy in the sermon, comparing homosexuality to things like alcoholism and overeating.

Below is video of Leon's benediction:

http://youtu.be/C4ySjY3uNsU

Posted

Hi,

I wanted to respond to this because, I think it is imperative for many Gay people, who are not educated in the bible or have even read it should know. In the King James Version-the old testament regarding the judgments and statues or ordinance's. It states many abominations regarding iniquities this does not pertain to one classification of people, but to many. There is not one person on this earth that is so righteous. It is important that everyone reads Chapters 18, 19, 20, 21 and 22 in the book of Leviticus.

We get so caught up in what our earthly brother's and sisters say about homosexuality, when in return only God will decide what is right or wrong. These same people that have such judgment are not honoring God's words or commandments. Were not suppose to judge anyone on this earth, only unless we are truly righteous and not one human being is, not even the POPE.

Until people realize this only then will their be peace on earth. Were not suppose to idolize anyone either, only God.

I would like to just say some things here that I hope my words are heard. The bible has many meanings, but if you read how many times the Israel children provoked God? Just as we do on this earth now. How many times does God talk to Moses about the Israel children being stiff necked or stubborn and rebellious? How many times do the Isreal children want more, not satisfied with what God gave them? How many times do the Isreal Children question God, not having faith in him? How many times did the Isreal children see God's physical powers such as in Egypt with King Pharo and still questioned his all mighty power and love for them?

What I am saying if anyone reads the bible and truly self reflects regarding your human shortcomings, you will see that we here on earth are still repeating these same actions and thoughts.
The only thing God truly wants from all of us is to honor him with obedience, love him unconditionally as he loves us. Respect and honor the Ten commandments, and he tells us many times, that Peace is achievable if and only if we honor his commandments, as well as, constantly soul search our shortcomings, or our Pride, Ego, Expectations, Impulsiveness, Patience, and Jealousy and balance these human emotions while interacting with our neighbors, loved ones etc.. God wants us to have a great relationship with him, and to pray and listen for his answers, as well as, fear him because he is the All mighty and most power being.

We always need to self improve, it is a "daily work in progress". We will never have 100% Peace, because we are human, but we can achieve a higher level of Peace by being understanding, having wisdom to know we cannot change other people, places and things, only ourselves and how we "APPROACH AN SITUATION OR CONVERSATION" with other people. Furthermore, how we forgive ourselves for our trespasses and those who trespass against us. There are many prayers that can help you, if you ever want to improve yourself to a higher spiritual level.

When any of us repeats the same mistakes in life, we are not learning. The bible is the book to learn, there are many great teachings in it and if your a person who desires true peace then and only then will you receive it, but it starts with cleaning house and getting your life in order. I am not talking about physically cleaning house, I am talking about mentally, emotionally, logically, and spiritually. If we surrender all our fears and insecurities to God, you will see God's love for us.

Trust me, I was stiff necked for many years, it took me longer than most to understand the depths of peace and happiness. However, I am so grateful where I am today. I understand true forgiveness and when to repent for my own sins. But most of all, I will always do my best to honor God through obedience. I cannot expect God to help or save me, if I do not honor him through obedience.
God will help us, but he expects us to help ourselves.

We always ask God, What is our purpose here on earth? Well, our purpose is our passions and compassion's and once that is discovered, you can develop it and deploy it. It is mostly what truly bothers us and how we want to make a difference in this world. Think of an electrical charge and compare it to our human charges, which is our neurons or nerves. We are charged up when we are angry at something or charged up when we are excited. Well these same fundamental forces of gravitational interactions, electromagnetic interactions and strong and weak interactions are relative in all elements of life. We must always sacrifice to help others and that is our purpose. Discover, Develop and Deploy your purpose.

I understand that the bible or God is not talked about within many environmental surroundings. Most people are not God conscience, but you can always start to be. For anyone, who was raised in a dysfunctional home try not to allow those dysfunctions to dictate your life today. Forgiveness gives you peace, understanding and wisdom, and pray for those who are not spiritual.

Please try your best not to look for other's approval only God's approval, once again no human on this earth is God.

Everyday I read the bible, study physics, and perform algorithmic trigonometry and calculus equations. I always honor God having a close relationship with him. I allow God to be my Pilot always with every decision. IF I listen, I will have peace, understanding, and wisdom, if I do not listen, then turmoil always arises. I choose to listen. Please know God provides to us "Tough Love" we are not suppose to get everything we want within the time we want it, but he definitely gives us what we need in his time.

I would like to address another chord or sector before I close this topic of discussion. When we are truly happy and content in life, it will not matter, if we are poor or rich, success is not about money, it is about our personal and spiritual growth. Money is just needed to pay our bills to live, and even at that,we are capable of surviving off the land without the need of money. God built this land to live off of providing us with many trees, plants, lakes, water, rocks, all the sediments of the earth etc etc. Our scientist utilize these nourishing properties daily, when formulating ingredients into a processed chemical product.

I am a compassionate and considerate person with a generous heart, my true passions in life is Classical Mechanics, Opto electronics, metaphysics, and religion. I am a self-taught Mechanical Engineer. Please do not ever give up on your dreams due to the lack of finances. Trust me, if you study hard, retain the knowledge and buy the books that are needed, you can accomplish your goals.

I pray these words are heard and help anyone in need.

LOL,
Eydie

Posted

Most impressive. And for me to say that is saying something! : )

Posted

My passion and compassion in life I want to develop and deploy as my life purpose is to be comfortable in the desire within myself to be okay to be gay. And I like acting and writing as a profession. I want to be honest in the daily discoveries of it though; and not 'overact' in a way that can be obnoxious. I'm not one to anticipate sex with every guy I come across either. For me it's even more challenging when I don't like labels and am uncomfortable in social settings, due to what I believe to be Aspergers Syndrome. It's so difficult when I'm in a group or am confined to a job or in a place with another persons energy. I'm a starving actor in Los Angeles and am obsessed to make it; and to find honest relationships where I can feel as if my passions are in safe refuge of those who are capable of loving me and giving me the space to not be overwhelmed by energy. Anyway, Eydie, I guess I just concur with your discussion and I'm just hoping in these things for myself-not be so self protective and moved by the adversities that are especially hightened in my eyes.

Posted

Joey,
It is okay to be gay that is who you and I are. I am very happy that you look within and know yourself. I wish you all the best in achieving your dreams. In life we must work hard at what we truly desire and you are doing it that is so rewarding. Good Luck always and in God's blessings, you will prevail.

LOL

Posted

Andre,
Thank you so much for your compliment. I love your profile, you are a good and humble man, we need many more alike in this world. Enjoy your spiritual progress as you are delivering your purpose.

LOL

Posted

Ok, thank you Eydie.