Bishop urges support for marriage equality in Rhode Island - The Gay Christian Network

Posted

Bishop urges support for marriage equality in Rhode Island

Episcopal Bishop Nicholas Knisely has urged clergy to support marriage equality in the US state of Rhode Island ahead of a committee vote on the issue on Tuesday

19 January 2013 | By Andrew Potts / Gay Star News

Rhode Island Episcopal bishop, the Rev, Nicholas Knisely, has written to clergy in his diocese to urge them to support same-sex marriage in the US’ smallest state.

‘As the Episcopal Bishop of Rhode Island, I support the bill before the General Assembly that would allow same-sex couples to marry in our state, not in spite of my Christian faith, but because of it,’ read a statement by Bishop Knisely that was sent to all active Episcopal clergy in Rhode Island on Friday.

‘Episcopalians are not unanimous in our views, but in the Episcopal Church we find our unity in common prayer, not in common opinion. Even so, through many years of prayerful discussion, the majority of Christians in the Episcopal Church have come to believe that it is possible, and even common, for two people of the same-sex to live covenanted, faithful lives together in service to God, just as people in traditional marriages do. We have also learned that it is possible to protect the consciences of those who disagree within our church and still live together in community.

‘Part of what informs my opinion is that before I became a priest and then a bishop, I was a scientist. So I know the importance of trusting evidence that we see with our own eyes. ... Jesus tells us that we must test each tree by looking at the goodness of its fruit … Across our congregations and communities, I can see the goodness of gay and lesbian couples and their families.

‘I am eager to see our state legislature join many others across the country in passing legislation to ensure civil marriage equality. I believe it is time for the State of Rhode Island to extend marriage equality to all of its citizens. I urge the legislature to pass House Bill 5015.’

Knisely studied Physics and Astronomy at the University of Delaware before studying for the priesthood.

Bishop Knisely’s statement comes just days before the Rhode Island House Judiciary Committee votes on House Bill 5015 which would provide for equal marriage rights for all couples in the state.

Rhode Island state governor Lincoln Davenport Chafee, a former Republican turned independent, has said he will sign the bill into law if it is passed by lawmakers.

Rhode Island and Illinois are in a neck-and-neck race to see which becomes the tenth and eleventh US states to legalize same-sex marriage.
*******************************************************************************************
Illinois Republican Party chairman refuses to step down for supporting gay marriage bill

Pat Brady says: 'I’m not backing down'

11 January 2013 | By Greg Hernandez

When the chairman of the state's Republican Party stepped up and spoke out in favor of marriage equality last week, LGBT advocates were pleasantly surprised.

But some members of Pat Brady's own party are livid and want him to step down from his post.

Brady says he isn't planning to quit.

'If people want to throw me out because I took a stand on an issue of discrimination [as] the chairman of the Republican Party, the party founded by Abraham Lincoln, then that’s – that’s up to them and they’re free to do it,'Brady tells WBEZ. 'But I’m not backing down.'

With a bill that would make same-sex marriage legal in the state about to be considered by the state legislature, Brady spoke out last week in favor of it saying: 'I think it’s time for people to support this. more and more Americans understand that if two people want to make a lifelong commitment to each other, government should not stand in their way.'

He also said giving gay and lesbian couples the freedom to get married 'honors the best conservative principles' and that it 'strengthens families.'

This has proven to be too much for some others in the state GOP.

State Senator Jim Oberweis, who has asked Brady to resign, tells WBEZ: 'I was shocked. Very surprised. Did not expect that and didn’t know why he would have done that.'

Bobbie Peterson, a Republican state central committeewoman, calls Brady 'a total disgrace.'

'He’s a pretty face for TV. He can speak well. Period,' she says. 'But what’s coming out of his mouth is not what the Illinois Republican party is about.'

Posted

Sat., Jan 18th,13, 16:20 Hrs. M.S.T.
Hi Group,

This Shows Who is "Open" and Honest About Issues and Just Who the Bigots Really are. Those Bigots are the Republicans, They Stand to Loose the Most.
Tnx.,
Operator.

Posted

I am getting sick of y'all u ppl screaming about this marriage thing. All y'all wnt it to wrk dwn the isle n run arnd n say u married. I don't wnt half of the pie I wnt the whole pie. I wnt everything tht goes with bn married. So, until I heard tht the gay community is going for all tht comes with marriage I won't get behind this issue n with y'all do ur homework n fight for the big picture.

Posted

Stop being so much of a ass and a redneck too lazy even to spell out his words! You DO your Homework! It is "Marriage Equality" and not just getting married.

Being married : http://www.hrc.org/issues/marriage

This includes all the rights that married people have such as tax exceptions, spouse benefits from health care to all the other rights that two unmarried folks do not have.

Only marriage can provide families with true equality. This section of the HRC website is dedicated to providing resources on the array of current protections, plus information on laws in your state, financial issues, answers to questions about marriage equality and so much more.

Dawn of a New Day for Marriage Equality (Extended Version)

http://youtu.be/vrscFboMip8

You can say Duh,............. now!

Posted

BE D237m glad you and I aren't married.

http://www.marriageequality.org/get-the-facts

Get the Facts! Because, Marriage Matters...
FACT = something that actually exists, reality, truth.

Marriage equality is an issue that often sparks intense emotions, both in those who are working for equality, and in those who oppose it. The institution of marriage is also surrounded by a great deal of assumption and mythology. It behooves us all to Get the Facts before discussing marriage equality. We hope that reading through Get the Facts will prove useful and answer your questions. If you have additional questions, would like to correct something we have posted, or can suggest additonal content that you think is important, please contact webcontent@marriageequality.org.

Marriage offers many legal benefits and responsibilities that protect families. It also provides societal status and emotional benefits. Here are just a fraction of the reasons why marriage matters to couples who choose/desire to marry.
The Practical

Marriage offers 1,138 Federal benefits and responsibilities, not including hundreds more offered by every state.

In times of crisis, spouses have hospital visitation rights and can make medical decisions in event of illness or disability of their spouse.
Employers offer spouses sick leave, bereavement leave, access to health insurance and pension
The law provides certain automatic rights to a person's spouse regardless of whether or not a will exists.
Married couples in elderly care facilities are generally not separated unless one spouse's health dictates hospitalization or special care.
The dissolution of a marriage requires a determination of property distribution, award of child custody and support and spousal support. Absent divorce, there is no uniform system for sorting out the ending of a relationship.

The Financial

Financial issues are complex and challenging, no matter the couple. When home ownership, kids and other assets are a part of the equation, planning for the present and especially the future is even more critical for greater security.

Married couples are permitted to give an unlimited amount of gifts to each other without being taxed.
The law presumes that a married couple with both names on the title to their home owns the property as "tenants by the entirety."
A married couple, by statute, has creditor protection of their marital home.
Many married people are entitled to financial benefits relating to their spouses, such as disability, pension and social security benefits.
With marriage, a couple has the right to be treated as an economic unit and to file joint tax returns (and pay the marriage penalty), and obtain joint health, home and auto insurance policies.
When a spouse dies, there is no need to prove ownership of every item in the household for taxable purposes.

Protecting Children

A child who grows up with married parents benefits from the fact that his or her parents' relationship is recognized by law and receives legal protections.
Spouses are generally entitled to joint child custody and visitation upon divorce (and bear an obligation to pay child support).
The mark of a strong family and healthy children is having parents who are nurturing, caring, and loving. Parents should be judged on their ability to parent, not by their age, race, religion, gender, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity.

A study published in the Journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics, entitled The Effects of Marriage, Civil Union, and Domestic Partnership Laws on the Health and Well-being of Children found that:

Same-gender couples live in 99.3% of all US counties.
Same-gender couples are raising children in at least 96% of all US counties.
Nearly one quarter of all same-gender couples are raising children.
Nationwide, 34.3% of lesbian couples are raising children, and 22.3% of gay male couples are raising children (compared with 45.6% of married heterosexual and 43.1% of unmarried heterosexual couples raising children).
Vermont has the largest aggregation of same gender-couples (~1% of all households) followed by California, Washington, Massachusetts, and Oregon.

According to this 2006 study Census 2000 and related demographic research make it clear that parenting by same-gender couples is an established and growing part of the diverse structure of families in the United States. Public policies that aim to promote family stability and security typically are established without consideration for same-gender parents and their children, and they place these families at a disadvantage, as they do heterosexual unmarried parents, single parents, and extended-family caregivers. Public policy designed to promote the family as the basic building block of society has at its core the protection of children's health and well-being. Children's well being relies in large part on a complex blend of their own legal rights and the rights derived, under law, from their parents. Children of same-gender parents often experience economic, legal, and familial insecurity as a result of the absence of legal recognition of their bonds to their nonbiological parents. Current public-policy trends, with notable exceptions, favor limiting or prohibiting the availability of civil marriage and limiting rights and protections to same-gender couples.
The Healthy Advantage

Studies show that people who are married tend to live longer and lead healthier lives.

For adults, a stable, happy marriage is the best protector against illness and premature death. Decades of research have clearly established these links. (Burman & Margolin, 1992; Dawson, 1991; Verbrugge, 1979).
Studies on marriages have found that married people live longer, have higher incomes and wealth, engage less in risky behaviors, eat healthier, and have fewer psychological problems than unmarried people. (Waite, Linda J. Why Marriage Matters Strengthening Marriage Roundtable. Washington, DC, June 1997)
Research shows that unmarried couples have lower levels of happiness and well-being than married couples. (Popenoe, David and Dafoe Whitehead, Barbara, USA Today, July, 2000)
A recent study shows that denying same-sex couples the right to marry has a negative impact on their mental health - I Do, But I can't: The impact of marriage denial on the mental health of sexual citizenship of Lesbians and Gay Men in the United States (Herdt, G. & Kertzner, R. 2006).

So before you open your mouth and confirm to everyone what they thought about you is TRUE, Google the subject matter, fool!

Sorry about my backlash, but I am tolerate of almost all things eXcept ignorance with a attitude!