Public displays of affection! (PDAs) - The Rainbow Lounge

Posted

OK, so I've just posted one of our writers Suzie Kidger's amusing piece about PDAs on the Gays.com blog - click on the link and have a read first: http://bit.ly/TGnFDq

I'd love to see your comments on the actual blog and also get a conversation going here and gay PDAs.

I just went home to the UK for Xmas and while I was in London and I think I saw one gay couple holding hands in the street the whole time! Crazy considering this is one of the biggest gay capitals in the world!

So why are there not more gay PDAs? Are we too scared in case we get shouted out, looked at our attacked?

And should gay couples make more of an effort to show their love in public to show the rest of the straigh community that we are here and have the same rights as them. After all, if we don't start being more affectionate in public, we still look invisible...

I must admit I had some reservations about being affectionate with one of my exes in London as we got abused a couple of times and it put me off...

SO, what do YOU think!

Leslie_Lewis_52026
Posted

Public displays of affection are in order and acceptable of course as long as common sense is used. By all means show affection irrespective of sexuality but never ever outrage public decency, causing embarrassment to anyone. It is a case of using one's common sense. If two people love or even are just fond of each other affection to the degree wanted by the individuals is best done in full in privacy. Don't ever give cause for the public to complain and other than a kiss or a hug in the street nothing else in the public eye is really needed.

Posted

Jonada and I are a PDA couple! With respect of course, we don't use tongues! lol
I think it's great, but it totally shouldn't be a situation where gays should show more...or less. It's an individual thing, in fact a couples thing. With my exes I wasn't big on PDA not cos I was concerned about the public, it was just how the relationship was.
Don't think PDA should cause people to say "Get a room!"

Posted

Sometimes I wonder if PDA is a good thing, I only worry about it for SAFETY reasons. Not saying that if I had a Boy Friend I would not hold his hand in public or even hug him in public.

But then again the straight community has no problems with showing PDA and their PDA is almost to the point of them breaking in coitus.

Posted

Tommy_Storey
Posted

I don`t mind shareing only if i am at a Gay Pride. or a Marigra some whare .......... There i feel safe to do so in public ..........

Ronald_S._Batson
Posted

I adore guys who tastefully do spontaneous PDA whether they are team mates and/or a guys who obviously (as good friends or as couples) like each other very much. For me, guys who seem paranoid of hugging as we greet upon meeting or express goodbyes upon parting company kind of creep me out a bit. I would not date a guy for very long who exhibited fears of spontaneous PDA (and I'm not talking about tongue kissing). When I see guys engaging in PDA, my confidence in humanity kicks up a notch or two.

Posted

If it is ok for straight people it is ok for us too.

Posted

@Ronald - agree! It's great to see PDA and I think helps to show that gays are here and not inivisble - don't have to ram it down the throat (save that for indoors, he he), and can be a positive thing and maybe encourage other gays to do the same.

@Tommy. Yes! Gay Pride events are fantastic as you can do what you what and feel comfortable that you are safe. But I think it's important to try and challenge perceptions too. This can be difficult when you are in the depths of east London and someone threatens to bash you I know!

Liz_Duffy
Posted

Am not one to kiss in public anyway but others want to then they can.

Tommy_Storey
Posted

@ Calvin,
Yes,may be one day .?........ WATCH THIS SPACE ......

Posted

I believe its perfectly ok to do PDA no matter WHO you are. I live in the South and I know here is very conservative. But others need to start realizing we love who we love and want to show them that in public as well. It doesn't mean well do radical things like full on make-out; but a kiss in public, holding hands, hugging and arms around shoulders/waist should not be looked at like its something bad.

Tom_Tomas_63171
Posted

I want to tell you about my opinion but you don't understand me

Posted

Still wondering why people talk about pda. when they mean caring and tender gestures. PDA sounds like a gadget, or some awful medical diagnosis.

Leslie_Lewis_52026
Posted

I have to dispair at some of the senseless filth that is on this site. To be gay is NOT a reason to show total disrepect to the writers themselves who write pure filth on site. There is no reason for it and certainly no dignity attached to it.

I may be old fashioned with my ideas of respect for public sites The discussions on PDA is something that is interesting but is natural for brief displays of affection to be shown in public. Nobodfy looks twice but because two people of the same sex show PDAs in the street people start talking about it.

The problem is the continual highlighting of the subject can turn it into something that becomes a seriously viewed and involved issue. It sounds like to me a repeat of the title of one of Shakespeares great works - 'Much To Do about Nothing'. Don't let's get paranoid over it all.

Leslie Lewis.