Tammy Baldwin becomes first openly gay person sworn into US Senate - The Gay Christian Network

Posted

Tammy Baldwin becomes first openly gay person sworn into US Senate

Please Pray for Sentor Baldwin!!

Wisconsin Democrat has previously served in House of Representatives

03 January 2013 | By Greg Hernandez / Gay Star News

Tammy Baldwin made history Thursday (3 January) by becoming the first openly gay person to be sworn into the US Senate.

Chuck Wolfe of the Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund hailed the moment as 'real progress – a victory for us all.'

'LGBT Americans have finally broken through a glass ceiling that held firm for more than two centuries,' Wolfe said in a statement. '... This is a moment to smile, celebrate and raise a glass to toast a record number of out federal lawmakers.'

Baldwin, who had represented Wisconsin in the US House of Representatives for seven terms, defeated Republican Tommy Thompson in the November election. She replaces retired Democrat Herb Kohl in the Senate.

The lawmaker has gotten used to making history in this regard starting with becoming the first lesbian elected to the Wisconsin Assembly then the first non-incumbent gay person elected to the US House of Representatives.

Also Thursday, six out representatives were sworn into the US House: Mark Pocan, Jared Polis, David Cicilline, Mark Takano, Sean Patrick Maloney and Kyrsten Sinema. Barney Frank, the first openly gay house member, ended his long career in Congress.

http://youtu.be/RKaogHreDmI

Debbie_Dibble
Posted

Thank you for this update Andre. I can keep her in prayer. Thank you!

Posted

You are welcomed Debbie. Sorry I deactivated notifications, when some one asked a really sexually gross question, as it happens that some people just love grossing others out, which I thought the person should have asked a doctor, if they were actually serious. I left the group and still got freaking updates on this person's query as to whether or not is was safe or a OK thing to do, to spray perfume in places most people would never ask this question in a public forum. So since I couldn't stop getting updates, I disabled everything, because it was so crASS to me. : )