Chud

Does my Welsh offend you? - Gay Guys! <3

Posted

Does my Welsh nationality offend you?
I have been told by someone to and I quote 'Stop speaking in Welsh on posts and your statuses no-one understands a word you're saying and you look like an idiot!'
As you guys may know I live in Wales and I'm able to speak fluent Welsh, along with reading and writing the beautiful language, Welsh is a very difficult language to learn and it was the first language I ever spoke (yes before I couldn't speak a word of English) I spoke fluent Welsh by the age of 4 and by then I could speak little bits of English, due to my Welsh based communication I had to go to a Welsh school, I finally learnt how to speak fluent English by the age of 6 which then enabled me to a lot of schools - as you can see I've gone through a little bit of trouble with my language!
I love my country, I love nationality, and I love my language and I'm proud to be Welsh and be able to speak the language, Welsh is my native tongue and my first language.
So guys when I say Nadolig Llawen which is Merry Christmas in Welsh does it annoy you?
Be honest, I don't mind!

Marcus_Sykes
Posted

Not at all - being proud of who you are is not an offence.
I would ask you to put a translation after your comments - then who could complain!

Posted

This isn't an English only site. It's international, no? So feel free to speak whatever language you like. I am totally in favour of Welsh people using their native language. But if the majority of people are unable to understand what you're saying, and what you're posting largely goes ignored, don't complain that you're being ignored.

Michael_Wolfe
Posted

Richard D
I would say that if the person has a problem with what or how you say it then they need to go to the group owner of the group...If it is in this group all I ask if you and anyone else to translation of what is said..Like what you said when you wish everyone Merry Christmas...

Posted

Not a problem at all, I'm all for speaking our natural tongue. Just put a translation for those of us who only speak English.
Nadolig Llawen to you too.

Tristram_Goncalves
Posted

Whoever told you that is a xenophobic ethnocentrist. I grew up speaking four languages because we are immigrant stock. Not only do I pepper my messages with them but also with the Spanish I picked up on the sweatshop floor and the Polish I've just learnt. I find it a racist attitude to demand English when you like to share your linguistic culture with others. I have problems getting my surname pronounced since it is not said like it is spelt, and I will burn in hell before I allow it to be Americanized for the comfort of the ethnocentric WASP overlords who think the melting pot means we all assimilate to become them, they aint all that and a bag a chips ta deal with and I find their English only attitude annoying to say the least.

They claim we all should be speaking English cuz that's the language spoken here first. My mother is american, and her English half came in the 1600s and married up her Native american half, and the language spoken here at the time was dialects of Wampanoag. So why have most of those dialects died out when they was the language spoken here FIRST. I believe as a Welshman you can relate to that sort of linguistic double standard in one's own country, this was all Wampanoag and related Algonkin language groups here before the Pilgrims, the first illegal aliens wetback their way on to Plimouth Rock.

Sorry, i get passionate about these debates. I believe in linguistic power as much as any of the other issues that are used to oppress my people.

colin58
Posted

Richard it doesn't bother me in the slightest. i also speak scottish Gaelic especially if i happen to b in a towering temper so your speaking Welsh is as i said no bother to me.

Heebie999
Posted

I'm much more offended by the idea that someone is offended at the Welsh language. To people like that, I say "Feck amach gobshite tú!"

Homer_Bozarth
Posted

no, why should it? welsh people knows how to make love too you know baby lol

Timothy_Brown
Posted

I agree with everything that has been said, especially Homer's remarks (lol). No please do use Welsh if you would like, but please do translate it for us.

Homer_Bozarth
Posted

i agree Tim

Dave_Mack
Posted

I find it fascinating to hear greetings in multi languages. Your Christmas greeting was new to me as I am not afmiliar with Welch. We Americans do have this attitude that if you want to LIVE HERE to learn US English. However on a site like this I appreciate people posting in their language as long as they provide a translation we can understand. What gripes me personally is people who move here to the US and REFUSE to even try to speak US English. They expect everyone to cowtow to them. Yet every time we try to have US English made our official language the (mostly Spanish) lawyers run to court demanding we don't so we can accommodate them. If I moved say to Germany I would feel compelled to at least learn the rudiments of the language.
Again howver on tis site I like the idea of sharing language and cutlure. We all learn frrom it and oneanother.

David_Dubber
Posted

I am a Londoner and one of my best friends moved to North Wales when he was in his late 50's. He learnt Welsh and even read in Welsh for the local talking newspaper. BTW I love the Welsh people and most of their men are soooo sexy

Marcos_Aguirre
Posted

I speak 4 languages to varying degrees of fluency, English and Spanish at the top, but I guess your posts in Welsh would only make sense to one from Wales, so it might not be any use to anyone else. However, I could only conclude that if a post was in a language I did not speak, that it were not for me. And since this is almost always the case, I'd not understand anyone who would get mad at you for posting in your language.

I am quite sure your language is lovely. A Scot gave a presentation at my middle school, and it was really lovely to hear.

Marcos_Aguirre
Posted

Once upon a time, there were more German Americans in the colonies than English, and the national language could have been made German. To suggest that one national language should prevail denies the great melting pot that America is. Sure, if it is the most convenient mode of communication we can have, then yes, immigrants should learn it. But if anyone thinks it can and should be overnight, they are ugly Americans who never tried to learn another language. Just some feedback for Dave.

Posted

honestly i've encountered this problem more than once not only in group discussions but in the chat room as well...& honestly there shouldn't be a problem at all...at the end of the day i have the freedom to use my native language if & when i want to...& there isn't a site regulation saying that everyone needs to use english only...i've said it multiple times that people shouldn't feel obligated to read & comment on everything that is posted...i mean if something is written in a language you can't read...why bother leaving a rude comment demanding the author of the discussion to write it in english???...it wasn't meant to be in english...so i say if u wanna use welsh...i say go right ahead...don't let people get to you...it's not your fault they don't know welsh...but if you wanna leave a translation...that's cool too...but truly think people need to use their common sense...if you don't know the language just move on to the next english discussion...