Brittany_Campbell

When Do You Know Enough is Enough? - The Rainbow Lounge

Posted

I've been dating my girlfriend for almost 2 years now, most of which has been long distance. This is my 2nd and longest relationship I've been in, recently we have move within 5 minutes of each other and we see each other regularly. I am starting to feel detached, I feel like we disagree a lot more. There are also little things that make me think I am more committed to this relationship than her. Plus, I've been told by several friends of ours that we are on two different maturity levels. People/Acquaintances have also pointed out negative things about how she treats me. I know most relationships lose their honeymoon stage, but am I supposed to feel detached. I remember when I used to see no other girl but her, lately, in the past few weeks I've noticed that I'm looking at other women. Not in the sense that I want to sleep with them or anything but I appreciate their attractiveness.
I just want to know with these feelings I'm having are they normal feelings after dating someone for this long or should I let her go, and move on?

Posted

Enough is enough when the question is asked and the answer is echoed silence. Trust in your feeling and that the outside observer sees more truth.

David_Cloud
Posted

You say that you think that you are more committed to this relationship than your girlfriend and yet you say that you are wondering whether to move on. Is you being committed to the relationship not the same as you wanting it to continue and succeed? If you did want it to continue and succeed I would suggest that you and your girlfriend should talk together about your respective feelings and try and decide together what you want to achieve and how you can try and make it happen. If you are prepared to make a unilateral decision this rather sounds as if you yourself are ambivalent about the future of the relationship.

Posted

When I say committed I'm talking about the mutual respect between two partners, in which they try and work things out to make the relationship last. This isn't the first time I have been unhappy in this relationship. I told her I wasn't happy and that we needed to work on things. We did for a good two months and things were good, but we've come back to the same point where the same things are happening. So, I don't think I want to try and fix it again. I've seen plenty of relationships go like that. People argue they fix it for a bit and then it happens again and they say things will get better but the same cycle happens over and over. I don't want to be one of those relationships.
As I mentioned I talked about my unhappiness before and she said, "I would get over the feeling and we would be fine" We were for a few months but now the feeling is back and I can't help but think maybe we aren't meant to be together.

David_Cloud
Posted

OK, Brittany. I see what you mean now...thanks for the extra explanation.