hey vegans - The Rainbow Lounge

Posted

How hard is it to go to a mostly vegan diet? I think i'd still eat chicken, turkey and fish.......but would like to eat a lot healthier! Any good vegan recipe sites with good recipes out there? Thanks!

June_Ushikoshi_Aka_June_Asia
Posted

@debbie if you are thinking about turkey, chicken and fish, you are bit far too off from vegan.

My son is vegitalian, my doughter is a vegan. I am a ex-vegitalian ...
You may want to start from vegitalian, not as far as vegan.

I suggest start looking in the vegitalian dishes from the following variety.
Indian
Japanese - Buddhist

Linda McCartney cookbooks are good too.

Posted

Thanks june! I'm just looking to get away not just from the fats and such but what they give the animals! The hormones, antibiotics, steroids, ect. I may raise chickens and turkeys with my neighbor so I know more about what I am eating.

David_Hobbs
Posted

Ratatouille is a great dish, if that is any good, if you would like the recipe let me know i'm a qualified chef lol x

Posted

That would be awesome! Thank you.

Posted

from what I've heard debbie, fats help your body process fat-soluble vitamins (such as calcium). Dark leafy greens for iron, nuts, lots and lots and lots of soy, a good b-complex for energy, as well as an iron and protein supplement, and something with potassium because potassium helps with calcium too, although you might want to look that up.

Another alternative would be looking up milk companies that treat their cows fairly and don't use hormones, supporting only those. You could always limit your milk fat intake to 4% or less sources such as cottage cheese, or yogurt and low fat cheeses. anywho, the thing about fat is that not all of them are bad in low amounts, and they help make you feel full faster.

If you're really serious about this you should try pad tai (really don't know how to spell it but its really really yummy!) Indian food is good if you don't mind spicy, but japan has more recipes for soy. I definitely recommend miso soup with shitake mushrooms, and soy as it is filling and totally delicious!

Posted

be warned it is a very expensive diet if you choose to go vegan.

Posted

Wow thanks for the feedback. That was another concern, the cost. I barely eat one meal a day now. I've been trying to save for a juicer and trying SuperFood
Plus by Dr. Shultz. Has anyone tried that?

As far as spicey, that's not a problem. I love cooking with all kinds of spices.....

Thanks for the recipe June!

Posted

well the good thing about miso soup is that it's not extremely expensive

David_Hobbs
Posted

Hi Debbie, Just checking if you had got sorted with some recipes. It looks as though you have been given a link for vegan meals. Thats why I like this site evry 1 seems friendly and helpful. Good Luck. There is some meat free type of foods that taste like meat but these can be expensive e.g Quorn. Pasta and Rice dishes are inexpensive dishes also and there are some fantastic recipes. The best time to buy Friut and Vegatables is when they are in season because they are in abundance. Happy Eating :+)

Posted

Thanks David! I think I have enough money saved for a juicer and will be starting the detox programs in Sept. then the program itself after that. I agree, fresh produce is wonderful and my goal is to save so I can have a high yielding quality garden of my own. Living in the forest has some disadvantages with the wildlife I love eating anything good but I have a goal!