Jony_Star

Is Religion Good or Bad??? - The Rainbow Lounge

Posted

well i took a look at a member's discussion about God...and made me remember my one discussion of my spiritual experience...and well one point that was brought up was that religion does more harm than good...and honestly...the way i see it...you can't blame religion for something people misinterpreted...it's not the 1st or the last time people will use religion as a shield...the crusaders did it by killing in the name of their "Lord"...early americans created a stupid concept called manifest destiny...they had to hide behind God to justify a war...people will always use religion as an excuse to justify their action...but you have to see that even tho they hide behind religion...their intentions are fueled by something religion doesn't teach...and that's hatred and ambition...now days we don't have people causing wars in the name of God...now we deal with people who pretty much hate anyone who doesn't follow their religious lifestyle...but is that God's true message???...do you honestly think that's what the bible really says???...probably not...for those who aren't familiar with it...the interpretations are limitless...but in the end when you're heart isn't in the right place and love doesn't exist in both your heart and mind...you're pretty much looking for what you want to hear...these people don't carry the real message from God...they only say what they feel...and it's all selective reading...if they truly followed the word of God...they'd be a lot more conservative than they really are..and in fact not to say that old testament has no importance...but it sounds to me that it was pretty chaotic...and the world was in turmoil with the idea of furious God...and that's why God sent Jesus to calm everybody down...and instead of believing in an all powerful wrathful God...we needed to know that there was actually God who was understanding and loving...the overall message was love...and as for religion itself...the way i see it...it teaches us how we're supposed to be good selfless loving people...so i say we can't punish or condemn a whole religion for the actions and misinterpretations of a person who can't even begin to comprehend what that religion is truly about...much less if he can't follow the most important thing...which is love thy neighbor and forgive and love your enemy...so religion isn't what causes the harm...it's actually good...it's the people who make the decisions and it's the people who do the harm...

Posted

I should make it clear that I'm atheistic in regards to my own faith (or lack thereof) but I hold the following view:

Religion in and of it's self is a positive influence when tempered with common sense. It provides a set of moral guidelines for society and realise it or not we all live by them. However I feel that organised religion is nothing but bad news. Sure it provides a community spirit but that is far outweighed by the evil it brings. The crusades, jihad war and the like.

Take Catholicism for example. Through it's long standing condemnation of contraception use it has caused rampant over population in the poorest areas around the world, through this over population there has been:

- A rise in famine because there isn't enough food to go around.
- Pestilence and disease due to phenomenal quantities of human waste.
- A exponential spread of STIs due to the catholic prohibition on condoms.

Further points
- Religion driven conflict around the world.
- Religious persecution.
- Social segregation.

Of course each religion has its share of atrocities and some may be considered more evil than others, I'm no fan of extreme Islam for example, with it's chopping off of limbs, forced covering of women and such but my point is this - religion is never and will never be a good idea when there is allowed to be an over arching establishment governing its interpretation and execution.

As for your "true word of God", Mr Rubalcava, that too is an interpretation. Nothing in the Bible is stated as plain text it's all interpretation and any who professes to have correct meaning from any holy book, Bible or not, is a fool. This is of course assuming that anything in the Bible is true and it isn't simply a fictional narrative. I like to imagine that people might treat the Lord of the Rings trilogy in the same way as the Bible in a couple of millennia, if Scientology can happen, I see no reason why not

Posted

(Written prior to the deletion of Richard Ivers' comment)
I genuinely believe you entirely. Whether you want to believe that was a simple fear of death or indeed a divine revelation is up to you. I cry "Jesus!" when I stub my toe or stand on lego (which is inexplicably painful) but that is a consequence being taught in a Christian primary school then a Catholic high school. However, consider this: If there was an atheist or agnostic from let's say a Islam centric culture and they were put in the exact same position as the two you mentioned. Would they cry for God or Allah? When one comes face to face with mortality, it is natural to cry for and cling to anything with even the slightest chance of saving them from the dreadful darkness of the unknown. It could very well be that those two you mentioned leapt for the nearest, socially established deity. As for passing peacefully, you'll find that almost everyone of faith or not eventually accepts the inevitable with a calm, resigned demeanour. I would also like to make clear that I've no quarrel with Catholicism in particular or any single believer. As I said, each religion has had it's own failings, massive and incalculable to the small and individually harrowing. I will leave you with a quote. “I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.” - Stephen Roberts.

Richard_Edwards
Posted

I belong to a church which is more about spirituality than about religion.

There are too many church leaders that use the bible to oppress those that are different, especially gays. The catholic church does not seem to believe in the separation of church and state. The cardinal here went to talk to the governor because he did not like that New York now allows same sex marriages. No one is forcing any church to preform such ceremonies, but the cardinal does not think that it should be allowed anywhere in the state by anyone.

Maybe someone should tell him the Pilgrims came here to escape from religious persecution.

Posted

if anything what interpret is all the good things from the bible...and take it for what it is...all i know is that men wrote these stories...some i would agree, others i find interesting and..well there are things there that you know are wrong...no matter how righteous it may sound in the bible...but anywho...my belief is catholic...but i also hold my own personal beliefs as well...i don't know what to consider myself really...i do believe there is a God out there because he speaks to me...not in my head or anything...but well i just know he's out there...

Posted

Pilgrims came to north America to avoid persecution, sadly the Quakers followed soon after specifically to religiously persecute. Mad world isn't it.

As for Captain Dyslexia, I'm glad you temper your faith with common sense, one down with several billion to go As for God talking to you.... not going to touch that one with a barge pole, I'm just not qualified.

Tommy_Storey
Posted

To hell of a lot of Peaple,who live in the poorer part`s
of the World,RELIGION,is the one and only thing to
hang on too,or other wise they would Perish.

Too these Peaple,Religion,is a Life saver. And it
is saving lives,whole sale. lol.xxx

Tommy_Storey
Posted

May be,or May me not ????.
But it is still saving live`s tho. lol.

Posted

that's one thing i don't believe...blind obedience...i trust God...but i don't think i'm capable of obeying anything so blindly...

Posted

well this wasn't supposed to be a heated topic...but i guess people just don't have the patience to tolerate different opinions...but that's ok with me...i have no problem...i just agree to disagree and that the end of that really...it's not a battle to see who's right or wrong here...i just wanted to know people's opinions and thought on the matter like always...

Posted

For me, the most important thing is whether God loves me or not. I used to describe myself as an evangelical Christian before I came out, and was certain of God's unconditional love. Then, because of the teaching I received in church on homosexuality I then wondered whether it was true after I came out last November. I'm still working it out. In my experience organized religion can be a "killer", because you are made to fit into a mould of a way of thinking, which may be completely alien to you. When I was an evangelical, I used to also be anti-gay. As it is said, attack is the best form of defence. I hit behind a facade of denial. I was a member of a baptist church. There was a local gay friendly church, which to us was totally anathema, because they were all heretics,going to hell for allowing gay couples to be there. It was never quite expressed in those terms but that was the implication. Fortunately I'm now going to an inclusive church -which is very welcoming and nearby.
I respect everyone here for expressing their diverse views.

Posted

Religion in it self is neither good nor bad. It's what people do with it that makes it good (or bad) As an agnostic humanist, i think that it is a human invention for the purpose of moral guidance and self discovery.

When people start to think that their religion is the only right one and that they subsequently are a tool of their god, than things can go wrong, as we have seen far too often.
An interesting view on this is spread by the DalaiLama in his book beyond religion.

Posted

At the end of the day, whether someone is objectively right on here or not is completely irrelevant.

Rational or not, realistic or not, intelligent or not, none of it matters because it's faith. Faith doesn't need to be based on anything as demonstrated by those prior to this comment. Faith in a god, the church or even faith in giant lizard men on the moon can't be swept aside by any argument no matter how logical or rational at is because there is no foundation to be broken.

Take heart however that Atheism is on the rise, by this rate there will be no religion by 2056

Posted

well only time will tell...until then...i guess we can wait it out... = )

David_Cloud
Posted

Let's keep our individual interpretations of God (or not, according to personal choice) but set aside Religion.

Posted

Time will not tell, by the time any of us is in a position to know better we'd be dead and thus unable to tell anyone anything.

@David What do you mean? Religion is the worship of a or god or deity, the two are mutually inclusive.

David_Cloud
Posted

@Charlotte, no! My point is that I believe it can be helpful to us to hold a vision of a God - however we individually choose to define or interpret God or a deity, intelligent creator etc - and even, if we choose to, to have a 'faith' or 'belief' in a God.

BUT I find Religion - which I agree with you is the worship of a God or deity - to have been a human activity which has generally speaking brought far more harm than good to Mankind. It has been used as a method of social control, repression, a cause of wars, bigotry and hatred.

That is why I reject religion but individually maintain an interest in continuing to spend time thinking about my own perception of God.

David_Cloud
Posted

Thanks Charlotte, its amazing how some of these discussions help by the exchange of ideas between us all...and I find often help clarify one's own thoughts too. Thanks for questioning what I said earlier which made me clarify and express my reasoning.

Posted

Oh I agree, humans will always find reasons to annihilate each other but to clarify about that projection.

By that date, it is projected that there will be no country wide religions, such as England is supposedly a Christian country. Atheism will hold the majority, already it's 32.4%.

Interestingly 0 .8% of the country is of the Jedi religion. One of the recent censuses has it down as there being 390,000 Jedi in England and Wales, another 15,000 in Scotland lol

Posted

I deleted my comment because it was meant for another conversation. I do not appreciate you reposting it out of context.

Posted

I hereby disassociate myself with anything Ailean says in this discussion, all references to me, any comments, any views made by her.

Posted

I think religion is really good.
Religion give us guide lines, without religion we had no, ore much less human rights.

Helen_Lane_Li
Posted

I'm sorry, I can't agree with that. Religion is a human construct for whoever controls it. Religion needs a god. God does not need religion.