Tonia_Docter

Tolerance. Please Read - The Rainbow Lounge

Tonia_Docter
Posted

Just jumping in from the sidelines...Hate speech and bashing are NOT going to be tolerated in this room!

That being said, I think that anybody asking a question to educate themselves or others (who may not have asked) and isn't trying to use terms that are derogatory or hurtful in any way, shape or form should be treated with respect and taught proper terminology instead of being jumped on by the community. We all come from different backgrounds and are at different stages in our lives.

An appropriate response would be, "Could you please use the following terms instead of the one that you used?" Do I like getting called a dyke? No. But there are lesbian women who have taken back the control of that word and are using it to describe themselves.

You can't see emotion behind keystrokes and I believe that as a community we have enough people trying to tear us down from outside of the community that we don't need to start throwing rocks from within.

If the words flowing from your fingertips are not words that you would say to your mother, your child or your best friend in kindness the door is over there ----->

Tonia
Group Owner

Helen_Lane_Li
Posted

Well said Tonia XXX

StarCrossed
Posted

Amen to that!

Brian_A_Case
Posted

i'm the new guy here and i agree 100%, thats what brought me to this site and this group. i hear enough slamming, bashing and hating outside the computer world.

David_Hobbs
Posted

Well said Tonia. I use the word Poof within my circle of friends outside this site, its not used in a put down or a self put down. We have turned it round from a derogative (my spelling is terrible sorry) word and we have turned it into a positive so when we are called it we can turn around and say "yes i am, problem?". This might be just my small part of the world I don't know. But people need to think that some people find certain words offensive and speak accordingly (bad speller)

David_Hobbs
Posted

Well said Tonia. I use the word Poof within my circle of friends outside this site, its not used in a put down or a self put down. We have turned it round from a derogative (my spelling is terrible sorry) word and we have turned it into a positive so when we are called it we can turn around and say "yes i am, problem?". This might be just my small part of the world I don't know. But people need to think that some people find certain words offensive and speak accordingly (bad speller)

Posted

I wish half, just half of the world thought like this and maybe there wouldn't be so much hatred on this poor rock we call a planet. If we can't learn to work together like we were taught to in kindergarten classes, I'm so afraid that us as a species may fail.