Facebook - Gay Guys! <3

Posted

I'm curious to see what other people think of this. I'm very active on Facebook. (http://www.facebook.com/tonysmith1975)

My partner just rejoined Facebook after a long absence and I can't list that I'm in a relationship with him and i have to be very careful about what I post concerning him.

He works for a very narrow-minded company and they would run him out if they found out he was gay.

What does everyone else think? Do you think he's being paranoid? How would you feel if you were me knowing that your partner can't publicly come out because of his job?

Tony

Heebie999
Posted

I'd strongly encourage your partner to either look for another job, or to just be himself and sue the shit out of his employers if they fire him.

Posted

yea i was just about to say that...wouldn't he be entitled to sue the company for firing him because he's gay???...so unless they're rolling in like super big bucks and don't mind losing a chunk of money...i'd say so what if they find out...but then again...jobs are kind of hard to come by...so i don't know....

Posted

He shouldn't hide who he is.
I understand that his job is very important but if they do try to run him out because he is gay then they are breaking the law and your partner can get them into a lot of shit so tell him not to hide himself and look up on legislation that will back him up should the try to run him out.

Also, I'm rather shocked about the cover photo in that link, I know it's nothing to do with the discussion but I find it a bit inappropriate!

Tommy_Storey
Posted

Just reading inbetween the Lines Tony,
it sound`s as if you Partner is not Out ???

If that is the case,then the man to ask about
thing`s is you partner,to see what he say`s.
xxx

Posted

LOL Todd, that's a nice idea in theory...but he's the "breadwinner" and we couldn't take the financial hit right now.

Tommy_Storey
Posted

Is your Partner,OUT,Tony, ???
xxx

Posted

idk why but when i got an e-mail notifying me of this discussion...i thought it was Tommy and not Tony who had started it....lol...

Posted

Jony,

There are two problems with him coming out at work:.

1) There are plenty of insidious ways to force someone to quit without risking a lawsuit. For one example, he's a field engineer and his co-workers would just flat out refuse to on assignments with him.

2) A new job would require relocation in order to earn the same kind of money he's earning now and with both our mothers in their final years, we're not willing to move too far away.

Posted

Richard, I'm sorry the cover photo offended you. Next time I'll put in a "wax bones" disclaimer.

Posted

Tommy's he is out to friends and family and the world in general, just not to his coworkers.

Tommy_Storey
Posted

No,Jony,it was not me ( Tommy ) who started
this discussion.but Tony xxxx

Tommy_Storey
Posted

I now know,why it is so important
to you now.
I my self would leave thing`s as they are
my self. But that is only me, tho. xxx

Posted

For right now, I have to agree with you Tommy.

Tommy_Storey
Posted

Another way of doing thing`s Tony,
is to have two,Face Book,account`s.
One for your Sraight Friend`s.
The other Account,for all of your
Gay Friend`s ???????.
Just a idea,for you to think
about, lol xxxxx
Tommy,xxx

Posted

well if that's how it's gonna be...then i guess i don't see much of a choice...maybe he should have a separate facebook in which he doesn't associate himself with the company...i don't know...but either way you're both adults and know how to handle your lives...i'm sure whatever you guys choose will be fine...a bit hard to conceal...but well you gotta do what you gotta do...and have faith...if this is meant to be...i'm sure things will work out and get better...

Tommy_Storey
Posted

Thank you Tony, xxx

Tommy_Storey
Posted

And also,Tony,Jony is
also makeing a good point
as well. xxx

Posted

u can post on my page but no nudity stuff or anything inappropriate but my inbox is for the dirty stuff so add me if you want
https://www.facebook.com/#!/cloudlerel

Posted

Tommy, Jony had made several good points in this discussion. But I think the one about it being a bit heard to conceal is right. Jim knows that sooner or later the cat will slip out of the bag.

Posted

yep sure willl...and there won't be much he can do about then...i mean is he really sure that the company will really hold this against him???...cuz honestly if his job speaks for himself...& he's a great worker...then i don't really see this as a problem...sexuality and job experience have nothing to do with each other whatsoever...to combine the 2 is really a stupid thing to do...

Posted

There are many reasons why people can not come out of the closet and the reasons are very personal to them, they may appear to be triffiling to the rest of us but then we do not know their full story and their bigger picture. Although there are laws in most places now to protect us there is still a huge HOMOPHOBIC world out there and we do need to take responsibility for our actions and own protection when the laws can not help us. There is also the problem that if you do take legel action against some one for discrimination there are normal living cost to be paid for till the out come not to mention the cost of the ltitgation to be paid for while awaiting an out come and then the leagel team will proberbly take most of any monies awarded..... I would be sad to be in your situation situation but in the past did require to place some one in the situation and they were very supportive of me when things change for me I hit the world with a band but will always support some one that is in that situation...

Posted

It didn't 'offend' me, it's just not everyday you click someone's profile and there a dismembered skeleton staring back at you.
I just don't think it's right, wax or not, the cover photo is said to be used 'so people can get an idea of you' so what idea are we going to get from a skeleton, wax or not... Hmmmm....

Tommy_Storey
Posted

Also Tony,just a last thought as it
were.
I wonder,how many OTHER co-worker`s
in the same Company as your partner is,
infact are in the same boat,as you and your
partner are in ??????.
For one minite,i don`t beleave,that your
partner,is the only Gay person,amonk`s
his Co-worker`s. lol
Tommy,xxx