What is a Bear? - Gay Guys! <3

Posted

I originally posted this in the Bear group....but things are dead over there so I thought I'd post it here and see what you guys think.

"Bear \'bar, 'ber\ n, pl, Bears: a gay man whose disposition is rooted in contemporary male culture (decidedly not in contemporary gay male culture) that emphasizes and celebrates secondary male characteristics such as beard and body hair." -- Richard Bulger, original publisher of Bear Magazine

Anyone agree or disagree?

Posted

i honestly thought that's what it was...just a guy with a lot of body hair...

Posted

Not everyone agrees what makes a gay man a "bear." Some people think all bears are chubby...some people think they have to be extremely hairy...and there are all kinds of sub-categories bears use to classify each other.

Personally speaking, I think being a "bear" is more of a mindset. To me it is a guy who acts more masculine than feminine and likes guys who are the same way.

Posted

interest point of view...never really thought about it...but yea i guess you could say that being more masculine is a "bear" characteristic...

Rod_Bell
Posted

I agree to everyone's posts!

Michael_Wolfe
Posted

I always thought that a bear is a gay male who is big in weight and also might have alot of body and or face hair...

Posted

Well...big in weight can mean stocky or very muscular. Although, most people would define a bear exactly as you do.

Posted

it's very interesting to learn that there is more to a "bear" than what people usually think...

Michael_Wolfe
Posted

also a young heavy teen boy can be call a cub...

Posted

well that makes sense...tho i've never really heard that term before...

Tommy_Storey
Posted

I alway thought.like you did Mike,
I.e, A hell`s angel`s Type of a
look. All vary tough looking,on the out side,
but just like a big Pussy cat,on the
inside ?? xxxxx

Posted

See I always thought that a Bear, was a guy that after they reach a certain age became a bear, well like me and others my age, and the image it gives is like a few have said, jells angel type, but see, i am more of a bloody mouse lol

Posted

I've always thought of a bear as a guy with a more thick body structure that of course stuck to the more masculine features..such as body hair... Facial hair ... And I supoose an overall acceptance of themselves as they are .. they don't really Care that they are not the spitting image of a ken doll

Posted

i consider myself one im hairy everywhere i hate shaving makes me itchy and i have a belly also but i won't in maybe 2months tops i guess starting after my birthday

Posted

that's great Lerel..i hope you reach your ideal weight...

Posted

yeah thanx..