Ashley_James_Halstead

Gay Teen Magazine - Gay Guys! <3

Ashley_James_Halstead
Posted

Do you think there's a market for a Gay Teen Magazine? With competitions, articles about music, books, tv, films, coming out, celebrity gossip, agony uncle, relationship announcements, crush announcements, shirtless guys, etc.

I've always wanted to work in publishing and there's no other Gay Teen Magazine in the UK on sale as far as I can tell.

Posted

Yes I do.....I used to write for an American mag, loved it....

Dave_Mack
Posted

Yes BUT people are not buying paper publications any more. Newspapers, magazines etc are on the decline. If you did it primarily in an electronic format it might fly, But then how do you make $$.. Would you be able to get advertisers? Thats a big consideration.

Posted

I agree David, that's the way forward.

Tommy_Storey
Posted

Yes i do.
And i agree with,Dave,in the
respect,that in this day and
age it is all going to a electronic
format. lol

David_Dubber
Posted

Hi Ashley,
Just logged on and discovered that, basically, John, Dave and Tommy have already said what I was about to!!!! My first thoughts on going 'electronic' would be to cater for those teens who are too afraid to have a printed gay publication lying around their bedroom at home for parents to (maybe) discover. It would be a great Godsend to them. Secondly the cost would be considerably cheaper than a printed version but where are you going to get the sponsors (advertisers) from? It is well worth discussing with any like minded people that you know and proceed from there. Whatever the outcome I sincerely wish you well in your venture.

Dave_Mack
Posted

Content would be important but as I said before HOW do you make money even to just break even? Perhaps have it an online subscription? But then again most teens don't have a credit card so how would you do it? Perhaps put together a sample copy and then pitch it to a larger GLBTQ friendly company to "sell" and distribute. Here in the US there is the Advocate. They were great BUT went to an online only edition and I think it killed them. Whatever you do you need to be very forward thinling. Marketing is the first thing to consider, then sales and (above all) content. Here is ONE idea.... solicit readers to send in stories of their coming out experiences AND their struggles. I mean for teens today. The fear they face and the ramifications when they do or DID come out? Were their parents/friends accepting or rejecting? I would suggest that any teen publivation have that sort of forum. That alone would be a huge assett. I second the mention of a previous post that most teens would not want mom or dad to find it in their room. And trust me parents DO snopp!

Maybe there is one on here who has experience in this sort of venture?
Lastly I know we have some extrememly good young writers on hear. Dean is one of them, Perhaps he and others might be interested in writing for such a publication?

Any one else have thoughts on this... It IS a good idea but need to be got off the ground correctly....

Posted

A electronic mag can be bought through the Internet, so money can be made, you just need to get together with a good team of writers, who you can rely on for deadlines. It can be done.
Just a lot of ground work to begin with.

Tommy_Storey
Posted

Another way of finincing it,would be is to find,
some Sponser`s, OR sell/rent,some of your
space to Addvritiser`s, thus the money what
you get from these peaple would in turn
Finince the Running cost,of the Magazine.

Just a thought. lol

David_Dubber
Posted

Did not know that the Advocate had gone online only. Here in the UK the same thing happened to 'The Pink Paper' However, this is still going strong and there are two editions a week but it is mainly 'gay' news stories from around the world. Not directed to any age group.

Dennis_Mix
Posted

I believe that you can get adverting on the site just like the gay sites or even use them like adult sites. I think it would be worth looking into.

Alfawolf

Heebie999
Posted

I would sincerely doubt that a "dead trees" edition would sell. Too easy for parents/friends/other family to accidentally run across it, or be curious when it arrives in the post etc.. I also don't see teens spending the kind of cash it costs to get a dead trees edition of a magazine.
If it was online, and completely free, and actually had content they want to read, then it would probably take off.. trying to find the right content and the right advertisers would be the difficult parts.

sumyngcum
Posted

wow....u have no idea for the potenial of this...can u imagine the # of teens that are not out....with a venue to read and learn and help with their decisions re: coming out....hello....u have a winner my friend...get to it!!

Andrew_Sykes
Posted

Yes def need one for the younger person - it is a brill idea - how to start it would be the thing - there are so many mags after your money but all basically giving the music/dress stuff etc but not aimed at the gay individual - you should start one and see what happens - good luck if you take on this project.

Ashley_James_Halstead
Posted

What about having it on iTunes app for iPod, iPhone and iPad, a blackberry app for the PlayBook and have it available on Kindle, most of us teens have iTunes money and some have kindles as well. I know that parents snoop but it wouldn't hurt to try the paper-based magazine as a trial as well.

Posted

That would be a good idea, Ashley, again it is something that teens can getto without parents/friends etc finding lying around.
Like I said before anything electronic now is the way forward, and is so easy to hide if you do not or not ready to come out.