Derek_Bliss

Labels?? - The Rainbow Lounge

Derek_Bliss
Posted

are you labeled? would you like to be? just kidding, i just wanna know what kind of labels are forced upon you, if you would like to be associated with another or with non at all? who labels us and why? can we label others? and why? please some one talk me throw this subject .

with much love.
lost

Derek_Bliss
Posted

thanks Allan love

Tonia_Docter
Posted

I like this discussion topic...I would like to know how many people have felt the freedom to try new labels, to try out different definitions of themselves. You can flip flop back and forth between a few for as long as you like until you find what fits you best...and allow it to change.

I think that society has implied labels for their own lack of education or understanding. Just like throwing around callus slang terms. We can take two approaches...take back control and educate, or be offended and hurt.

Posted

I've all sorts of labels attached to me, too many to list. I don't take offence to any of them, it's just that everything needs a name. The way I see it, a social tag attached to someone is nothing more than a word. Imagine not having a word for television, you'd have to describe it every time it was mentioned, it's the same with TS, TV, L, G, B and T

Derek_Bliss
Posted

i know now that anti-gay slogans and labels are not enough, so according to Tonia whom i thank and send all my love to, it doesn't have to be about just the labels that get thrown on you by society , but what label do you like to have or maybe want to have, what is the label that suit you the best, what label you want to have what you dont and what you think about it? im little bit on the tipsy side right now so i'll leave you be and check it in two days.

Tonia_Docter
Posted

I think the label that I like the most is that of a survivor.

Posted

Sun., March 25th, 12, 18:35 Hrs. M.D.T.
Hi Group,
Labels - Lets See, I Consider Myself a "Gay Hobbiest" as I Put a Lot of My Interests into Hobbies etc. Label? Maybe, Maybe Not. We All Have Interests
Outside of 0ur Gay Lifestyles, so Feel Free to Add On I Guess.
Tnx,
Operater.

Tonia_Docter
Posted

Artist, Lesbian, Creative, Supportive and Encouraging

Posted

construction dyke! lol
artist
creative
sweet
self sacraficing
hard working
"just one of the guys"
lesbian....
idk a lot of positive ones

Tonia_Docter
Posted

@Kendall, may I ask how you came to take back control of the word dyke?

Posted

lesbian
self consious
childish
awkward
funny
loving! x

Derek_Bliss
Posted

well lets see, guys like it all positive except joey.... why joey babe you think your nobody? your some one, human being in its most queer of state so be happy for the big guy's sake, we dont ever want anyone to think that he or she is worthless, you worth a lot to a lot of people and the world for someone, even if you dont know who yet, just stay positive about life and you will see that you worth a lot and you are someone rich, being rich isnt about the money its about the company your with and what you do with your life.
as for the ladies, wooow you all (the three of you) are very positive i love that, by the way what dyke means anywho?....................... i would describe you as all as cool and gay (old fashion meaning) bunch.

Posted

dyke is another word for lesbian normally used by others in a negative way, hope this helps x

Helen_Lane_Li
Posted

I think Tonia was trying to find out how Kendall comes to use the word "dyke" for herself. Most of us have heard this word used against us, but to take ownership of it and identify with it is unusual.

Posted

@tonia: you know, i dont use it in a negative way. I work in a predominantly male career and all my coworkers are cool with me being a lesbian, they do call me a dyke but its not used in malice. plus people label themselves as butch or femme. those dont really describe what im like, so "construction dyke" fits perfectly. just one of those things where if you give it a positive definition then its a positive word.

Helen_Lane_Li
Posted

Good for you Kendall. Sometimes acting negatively to all comments in itself is negative. If you and your co-workers are OK with it then sure, you own it

Posted

i mean, why not own it? its all in context. the more you use it as a positive thing, the more other people will too.

Posted

I group, am new here on this subject - Labels.
In my opinion, some people like labels so they know if they have a chance with someone / know where they stand, but in my true opinion, labels are used on products / items on a supermarket shelf and so unless you'd like too be like an item on a supermarket shelf, then why bother using them? just say as and when it's right, that yes you are attracted too men, women, both or neither or whatever the case may be, but why let sexual orientation / labels / categorised labels lead / rule your life. If you as and individual like / attracted too someone then sooner or later they will recognise the hints etc. Do we need to walk around with a label on our heads saying 'Lesbian' or other for example? Rhetorical question

David_Cloud
Posted

I do agree. To me, labels are used to 'organise' or 'structure' aspects of this amazing thing called Life. I actually enjoy it as complex, organic, and constantly changing and I do not choose to define myself by the use of labels.

Posted

an i agree with that im not femme or butch im me but if some elses wants to label themselves im not going to stop them! its they're chose, i choose not to label others may see it differently thats what makes us so great that know one seems the same aspect or topic exactly the same we are individual x