Travis_Mamone

Still struggling with interpreting the Bible - The Gay Christian Network

Travis_Mamone
Posted

Hello everyone. Through the Emergent Church movement, I've met several people who have helped me see the Bible as a collection of human documents written in response to encounters with the Divine, and not as the literal Word of God. To me, Jesus is the Word of God, while the Bible is a witness to this Word. This makes a lot of sense to me, because I've seen the Bible used to promote homophobia and sexism so much that sometimes I wonder, "Well gee, why would God deliberately create a group of people to be second-class citizens in His Kingdom?"

And yet, because I've been told for so long that the Bible should read as the literal and inerrant Word of God, it's to break out of that mentality. What if I'm wrong? What if the clobber passages really mean that, because I'm bisexual, I'm somehow cursed? What if women cannot hold any ministry position? Does this mean I picked the wrong God?

So yeah, what do you think? Is a literal interpretation the ONLY way to read the Bible?

Posted

hey travis,if plp use the bible to promote homophobia and sexim,dont blame the bible blame the plp who do that,everyone has question bout the bible and how to interpret it,which i think is great,the more you dont understand it and the more questions you have then great,thats a good way of being closer to jesus,to me i know the bible is a guide to life,if anyone wants to understand it more then go for it,but we got to understand that its jesus who our creater gave to us to communicate with,to be close to and to be taught by,jesus told me to put my trust in him...and so i do,and thats what i exspereince from him,through his spirit he teaches us to understand things that we hear plp who dont understand about,its his spirit that we learn from if you want to go that close,so...understanding the bible so you answer the quetions you have is great,but for me jesus was the answer,i dont try and be knowledgbleon the bible to much cause im not much of a reader plus its ok by me to hear plp ask questions and come up with their answers and their interpretation which can be strange and funny and confusing s/times...lol...i mean when jesus answers our questions bout things thats all we need...just dont give up on the lord,talk to him everyday and ask him to be with you and ask him questions..but be pateint and DONT GIVE UP ON HIM,hope you find ur answers and good luck and peace be with you, i will also ask the spirit to be with you and hope he will respond in turn,just be aware of signs that jesus is near you.plus find out what the bible says it is,right at the end it says if anyone changes the words of this book it will be at their peril...cant remmember the exact words but if you choose to do what the word says then how can you fail,their are promises in the bible which have been made to us,jesus promises "for he who asks shall receive",but later to understand that it says ,"but first you must seek the kingdom of god",.so its a big job to understand the bible,but if you beleive it to be the work of the creator then you cant go wrong....only if you listen to pls wrong impression of it can you go wrong..

Travis_Mamone
Posted

Thanks, Chris! You know that video "I Hate Religion But Love Jesus?" It's a terrible cliche, and doesn't really make sense, since by definition religion just means worshiping a god. But I think it has some truth in it. There are a lot of Christians out there that have turned Jesus' message into right-winged propaganda. And even though I have plenty of progressive Christian friends, sometimes it's just way too easy to just see the loonies. But in the end it all boils down to God's love. Without it, I would have left the faith long time ago.

Posted

havent heard of that vid,but listen to what jesus says and is still saying and stick to that...,whatever anyone has to say if its not the same as what jesus is saying then dont bother with it ,perfection doesnt exist on this planet,only in the glory of our father can we find perfection...it comes from him...so listen to the message and teaching of jesus,good luck with ur future travis..take care.

Posted

In reponse to Travis, I'm having this same difficulty which has sprung up only recently. However I've always been told that the Bible is the Word of God. Period. Other people then say it's a feel good book - but I know it's more than that. At the moment I'm questioning the accuracy of the Bible - it seems to me that the Koran makes a lot more logical sense, and yet I know that Jesus is the only way to life. Like why is the Catholic Bible bigger than the Protestant Bible, and why was a group of books we today call the Bible put together by a group of bishops at the Council of Carthage? If God inspired men to write the Bible then everything should be included - otherwise we've either left out some of God's word or else some writings were never godly in the first place... sooo confusing!!!

Travis_Mamone
Posted

Oren--Yeah, the more I read about the history of the Bible, the more I realize that not everything was as "Holy Ghost led" as evangelicals like to believe. Which is fine with me, because now my faith has more room to breathe!

Posted

I'm still between a rock and a hard place, as I want to do what God wants and not twist or dismiss the Bible just because it doesn't seem to apply to me and today. :-/

Posted

let Jesus...the actual spirit enter ur life and b with you...HE will teach you and give you understanding,i had the same probs as you guys...thats why i say LET Jesus enter your life and things will become much more clearer...he is our teacher,know why...take care.